The design of the North Queensland Stadium is in its final stages. Over the coming months, remaining elements of the design will be confirmed as the details of the interior fit-out and external building finishes are finalised.
The North Queensland Stadium has been designed for a 25,000-seat capacity with the option to expand to 30,000 seats in the future. This provides 7000 more seats than the current 1300SMILES Stadium. The new stadium will also accommodate up to 40,000 patrons in concert mode.
The modern look and feel of the stadium has been enhanced by incorporating the sports lighting into the stand roofing, eliminating the need for light towers.
The Stadium will feature a horseshoe-shaped, cantilever roof inspired by the pandanus plant. While providing an elegant expression of the building, the roof will shade about 75 per cent of the seating, with generous overhangs over the concourse and main entry.
In place of traditional trusses, folded plates achieve the roof’s ‘pandanus’ geometry. The folded plates provide the strength to resist cyclonic wind loads and the flexibility to allow the roof to expand and contract with tropical temperature fluctuation.
Orientated towards the north the North Queensland Stadium’s horseshoe-shaped design will capture prevailing breezes while allowing panoramic views to the city, Castle Hill and Magnetic Island.
On the sweeping nine-metre-wide concourse patrons will be able to walk the full 600-metre circumference of the stadium without the use of stairs while being able to see through to the field of play.
The Stadium will feature generous plazas and landscaped green spaces. The grassed northern parkland and plaza will form part of the northern entry and provide a space for friends and family to meet before entering the stadium. The southern plaza and entry will lie adjacent to an integrated bus hub.
The stadium will feature:
- 28 permanent general admission food and beverage outlets with options to bump in more for special events.
- Standing terraces with views to the field of play
- 88 external corporate boxes ranging from 6-seat to 12-seat
- 17 corporate suites, some of which can be combined to accommodate larger groups
- A chairman’s club and three corporate experience bars including a field club, centerline club and a club lounge
- Two major function rooms that can cater for up to 100 people
- Four player change rooms with dedicated wet areas, spa bath, warm up area, medical room and massage room.
Water and energy efficiency has been a key consideration in design decisions. For example, the design incorporates water sensitive urban design strategies including rainwater harvesting infrastructure, and water efficient fixtures and fittings.