Advancing Queensland's hydrogen industry
We're supporting the growth and development of Queensland's hydrogen industry.
There's renewed global interest in hydrogen as the ultimate clean, renewable fuel that can be used in transport, power supply and a range of industrial processes.
Hydrogen is already key for a range of industrial and manufacturing industries that provide vital inputs into our mining and agricultural sector. It can be produced from a variety of sources, including natural gas and renewable sources like solar and wind.
Queensland is well positioned to meet the forecast growth in demand for renewable hydrogen. Our established infrastructure, close proximity to Asia, significant solar resources, and available land make this state the ideal location for hydrogen production and export.
We're committed to developing a sustainable hydrogen industry. As part of the 2018-19 State Budget, $750,000 was allocated to investigate opportunities to produce and supply hydrogen at a competitive price to alternative energy sources.
In September 2018, the Advancing Queensland's hydrogen industry ( 754 KB) discussion paper was released for community and industry comment. Responses received will inform the development of a hydrogen industry strategy for Queensland, which is expected to be released in 2019.
Pictured: CSIRO, Hydrogen Demo © CSIRO/John Nguyen Photography.
- Hydrogen powers Queensland's future (22 January 2019)
- Premier's speech - CEDA State of the State address (12 September 2018)
- Palaszczuk Government backs hydrogen research for renewable fuel source (31 May 2018)
- National Hydrogen Roadmap - CSIRO (August 2018)
- Hydrogen for Australia's Future - COAG Energy Council briefing paper prepared by the Hydrogen Strategy Group (August 2018)
- Opportunities for Australia from Hydrogen Exports - Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) ACIL Allen consulting (August 2018)