Advancing Queensland's hydrogen industry
We're supporting the growth and development of Queensland's hydrogen industry.
There's renewed global interest in hydrogen as the ultimate clean, renewable fuel that can be used in transport, power supply and a range of industrial processes.
Hydrogen is already key for a range of industrial and manufacturing industries that provide vital inputs into our mining and agricultural sector. It can be produced from a variety of sources, including natural gas and renewable sources like solar and wind.
Queensland is well positioned to meet the forecast growth in demand for renewable hydrogen. Our established infrastructure, close proximity to Asia, significant solar resources, and available land make this state the ideal location for hydrogen production and export.
Queensland Hydrogen Industry Strategy
The Queensland Government is committed to developing a sustainable hydrogen industry and has released the Queensland Hydrogen Industry Strategy 2019-2024 ( 3.4 MB).
The strategy focuses on five areas:
- Supporting innovation
- Facilitating private sector investment
- Ensuring an effective policy framework
- Building community awareness and confidence, and
- Facilitating skills development for new technology.
The government will establish a $15 million industry development fund to advance renewable hydrogen projects in Queensland. The Hydrogen Industry Development Fund is scheduled to open on 1 July 2019 and further information such as eligibility criteria and funding guidelines will be available then.
Actions to date
To date, $750,000 has been allocated to investigate opportunities to produce and supply hydrogen at a competitive price to alternative energy sources.
This fund is supporting:
- CSIRO to undertake a pre-feasibility study on establishing a hydrogen demonstration plant in Gladstone which will utilise its break-through ammonia membrane technology; and
- QUT to establish a renewable hydrogen pilot plant at the Redlands Research Facility.
Pictured: CSIRO, Hydrogen Demo © CSIRO/John Nguyen Photography.
- Queensland positioned to power the hydrogen highway (30 May 2019)
- Queensland’s hydrogen future closer to reality (28 March 2019)
- Hydrogen powers Queensland's future (22 January 2019)
- Premier's speech - CEDA State of the State address (12 September 2018)
- Palaszczuk Government backs hydrogen research for renewable fuel source (31 May 2018)
- In September 2018, the Advancing Queensland’s hydrogen industry discussion paper was released for community and industry comment. Submissions have informed the development of the Queensland Hydrogen Industry Strategy 2019-2024.
- National Hydrogen Roadmap - CSIRO (August 2018)
- Hydrogen for Australia's Future - COAG Energy Council briefing paper prepared by the Hydrogen Strategy Group (August 2018)
- Opportunities for Australia from Hydrogen Exports - Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) ACIL Allen consulting (August 2018)